Can a Christian have a demon?
Nowhere in Scripture does it say that a person can be “possessed” by a demon. Sadly, the Greek word, daimonizomai, has been mis-translated “possessed” when the better translation is “oppressed”. In Psalm 24 we read that the whole earth and EVERYTHING on it belongs to the LORD. This means that we belong to the LORD, we are HIS possession.
What can happen is Christians can be oppressed by demons. This happens through 'open doors' that the kingdom of darkness capitalises on. Let us be clear at this point, the entire kingdom of darkness has ALREADY been defeated.
And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. -Colossians 2:25
The enemy oppresses because he is a thief, a liar and a bully and has convinced us that he has power and authority when in fact WE have the power and authority through Jesus Christ. This is why we need to pay attention to any doors that we have opened to him, both knowingly and unknowingly.
These are the most common 'open doors':
· Sin: This includes the sins that we participate in as well as the sins done against us.
- Curses: Spoken words that are meant to bring evil and misfortune to a person and/or family. This also includes self-cursing or the negative words we speak over ourselves.
- Generational: There are sins, curses, and/or agreements that can affect the generations. You may see this in things like generational addictions, or generational inability to find financial stability and freedom.
- Occult/Witchcraft: this incudes Ouija boards, horoscopes, tarot cards, palm reading, Satanism etc.
- Unforgiveness: Being unwilling to forgive a person or persons, in essence standing in judgment against them rather than letting the LORD judge. This does NOT mean that what they did was good or right, rather, it is the LORD who judges and repays all according to their deeds (Romans 2:6).
We need to seriously address any 'open doors', but the incredible gift of the LORD is that we do so from a place of victory! (Romans 8:37)
For a more in-depth look at this topic, including helpful self- deliverance prayers, we suggest purchasing a copy of Emma Stark’s book, “Freedom from Fear”.